Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sushi sushi Bo bushi banana fanna fo fushi me mi mo mushi- SUSHI

I spent all day singing that song to my nephew using different words. I rhymed for pretty much anything that I came into contact with- Henry, diaper, chicken....Kombucha. (That was a rough one and I may or may not have been out of breath at the end). Anyway, by dinner there was no way to get the song out of my head...


 So. I've been making sushi for a few years now and everyone is always really impressed that I can do it. But it's really not that hard, promise.

Ingredients (You can go to specialty Asian stores for this stuff...orrrr the foreign aisle at Meijer!)
2 cups sushi rice
2 cups water
(Ratios may depend on the rice cooker/May be different ratio for boiling rice on the stove.)
Rice vinegar (Such as Mizkan)

Nori (5-6 sheets-seaweed paper stuff :) )
Chili sauce
Mayo or vegan mayo
Water


Variety of vegetables- I usually use avocado, cucumber, asparagus and green peppers but you can use pretty much any veggies you have around.This time, I used steamed broccoli, sauteed kale and delicata squash, onion, carrots, celery and jalapeno.
For side/dipping: Soy, Wasabi, Ginger, spicy mustard, eel sauce, sweet and sour sauce, or whatever else floats your boat. 

Instructions
1. Make the rice and add 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar while it is still warm, then let cool.
2. Lay a sheet of nori on the table with the rough side up, and put rice across the widest way, and add chili sauce-mayo mixture.
3. Pile on the veggies.
4. Roll in tightly.

5. Once it is almost all rolled in, sprinkle water on the tail, and then continue to roll completely.
6. Cut in 1 inch-ish segments. 
7. Voila!


                                                         
Left: Sauteed squash, kale and jalapeno
Center: Broccoli, carrots, celery and onion
Right: Carrots, celery, onions, jalapeno, and squash


If it doesnt work at first, just try to be patient. I made sushi a couple times before it both looked AND tasted good all in one roll. Dip it in different sauces and try out different veggies for the roll- including tempura ones! I didn't even experiment tempura or sauteed veggies until I mastered the whole rolling thing.
 
Tempura: 
Ingredients: Panko, spices, flour, egg, sliced vegetable or your choice (eggplant, squash, etc.), canola oil
Instructions:
1. Put spices of your choice in the panko-I used the same spices as I used for the eggplant parm.
2. Slice the vegetables (I used delicata squash)
3. Brush with flour, dip in egg, and then cover with panko.
4. Put 1/4-1/2 cup oil in frying pan and heat on medium-high. Put the veggie pieces in the oil, 4-5 at a time, flip over, and remove from the pan once golden brown. You can eat these alone or put them inside the sushi rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment